Gamification of learning
Gaming industry is booming in Finland
Gamification is an educational approach to motivate students to learn by the use of game elements. Learning is most effective when enjoyment is engaged in the learning process. The region of North Karelia is home to 10% of the total number of game companies in Finland. The local industry focuses on the development of games for mobile devices, PCs, online use, serious games, and games for health.
We invite you to learn with us, our doors are open for visits.
Gaming in education
- All of our higher educational institutes offer studies related to the field of gaming in education.
- All the institutions co-operate and also arrange shared courses.
- Discover the best know-how from all of them combined.
Game development & 3D production—unique study programmes
Become a professional educational game producer
- Riveria offers a degree programme to qualify as a media service provider
- The game studies programme, offered at Outokumpu, is the longest-standing professional training programme aimed specifically at the game industry in Finland.
- The study programmes are unique in the field of gaming in education, especially at the upper secondary level. The number of applicants exceeds that of available study places every year.
- The programme students are known to be brilliant, especially in the visual production of games. The emphasis is placed on graphics and game design, while other courses focus on photography, video recording, image processing and entrepreneurship.
- Getting qualified in this field prepares the student for work as a 3D graphics artist, level designer or animator.
- The college has excellent connections to business life. Students have the possibility to get training placements at successful game companies around the country.
- The college also has active international connections.
- International students can participate in the study programme, as the instructions can be offered in English.
- Students who have graduated from this programme have gone on to secure positions at top Finnish game companies, such as Remedy Entertainment, Rovio, Housemarque and Frozenbyte.
The Degree Programme in Business Information Technology
The rapidly developing technology field requires very good professional competencies.
- Business Information Technology is a growing field with an increasing demand for applications and services.
- The constant development of the field creates endless possibilities for developing new business models.
- The development also challenges experts to continually update and renew their skills and competencies.
- The Degree Programme in Business Information Technology at Karelia University of Applied Sciences offers an up-to-date and diverse basis for work tasks in the ICT field as well as for developing skills and competencies.
- The programme offers game programming studies, with a focus on the programming aspect of game development.
- Other aspects of game development, such as game design and game art, are addressed through joint projects carried out by Karelia’s own media degree programme as well as Riveria and UEF students. The BIT degree programme has produced several Bachelor theses covering different areas of game programming.
- The studies relate to actual professional projects using modern learning environments. Student in Business IT have the opportunity to build networks with ICT companies and other experts in the field.
The School of Computing
Versatile high-quality education in a highly multicultural learning environment
- The School of Computing is one of the biggest departments within the University of Eastern Finland.
- The School of Computing provides top-class education in the areas of computer science, information technology and statistics.
- The learning environment is highly multicultural with lots of exchange possibilities.
- The research of the School focusses on intelligent media computing, technologies for education, and the development and statistics applications of demography, economics and forest sciences.
- The research groups have good connections to companies and research institutions. Participating in the research groups during one’s studies can significantly benefit a future career.
- Examples of occupational titles of some graduates of the School of Computing include: senior software engineer, quality assurance manager, senior specialist, senior software consultant, business analyst, senior designer, chief technical officer and IT developer.
- The School actively co-operates in the development of digital games in the region. In 2006, the first doctoral studies with a focus on game design—particularly, contextual games—were launched, and today the School of Computing holds game design lectures, carries out IT projects and produces numerous theses and publications related to digital games.
All the study plans of these programmes include guidance in entrepreneurship. A number of game education students have established their own enterprises and started to build up businesses in the game incubator of the Joensuu Science Park.
Would you like to know more about study programmes in gaming education? You can visit our learning premises and get the best tips for the field. Please, check the visitor programs.
Oasis Game Studio
Develop your unique ideas into publishable games
- Oasis Game Studio is an open environment where students, teachers and game companies can get together and develop games.
- It is a fully equipped studio with 200 sqm open studio space and 30 computer seats with server facilities.
- The Joensuu Science Park Incubator is helping game startups to start their business in the Studio, later assisting them with services included in the Joensuu Science Park Business Incubator.
- The Oasis Game Studio is located on the 4th floor of the Joensuu Science Park, which offers beautiful views of the surrounding area and boasts top-notch café, kitchen and sauna facilities to ensure that making games is fun.
- Oasis Game Studio personnel work in close co-operation with the Finnish game industry to ensure that the latest industry knowhow is used in all productions developed in the studio.
- The Oasis Game Studio also has full-size auditorium facilities for hosting large-scale game workshops and a motion capture system for producing high-quality animation.
Ubium experts the game design
Learn the fundamental knowledge of game design
- Ubium is a team of talents that guides organisations and individuals to grow by expressing, discovering and learning within their surroundings, while sharing their special uniqueness.
- Ubium offers versatile training and consulting services regarding gaming in education.
- Ubium’s expertise is in transmitting the basics of game design and understanding games as systems that involve game components and game mechanics that support game play.
The book of Magicians and Spells
Through this link you are invited to familiarise with the fascinating book of Magicians and Spells. It introduces the enhancing of North Karelia’s Game industry through global experience.
Game industry events
- Illusion is an annual professional game/music industry event held in Joensuu, Finland.
- It is held every year in July at the same time as the local Ilosaarirock festival.
- Illusion participants have access to the Ilosaarirock festival, which is one of the biggest rock festivals in Finland.